Men's Subscription Boxes - Bespoke Post: Standard Issue Review

Bespoke Post is a subscription box for men that costs $45 a month. You can preview the box and choose to opt out of any box within five days; new boxes are available to preview on the first of the month. Every single box to date has had a value much higher than $45. You can also choose to purchase a box without subscribing for $55. A majority of the items included in the boxes are gender neutral, and since you're able to preview and opt out of the box, it's also a good subscription for women as well. Click the link if you'd like to sign up or check it out: Bespoke Post (contains referral).

Instead of simply unboxing the "Boxes of Awesome" and then writing a review, I will be waiting until I have used each item enough to the point where I feel like I can fairly commentate on that item's quality, aesthetics, and how well it functions. I will also be writing about customer service and any offerings Bespoke Post has. I haven't seen any reviews online for a few of the boxes I got, so hopefully the reviews I write will help the people looking for reviews for those particular boxes and for people concerned about the quality and function of certain items.

This review is going to be on the Standard Issue box. I knew right when this box showed up that it was going to be well worth it. At first I wasn't going to get it, because in all honesty I had no need for another bag. Yet when I saw it was made by TM1985, I snatched it up in pine right away. This bag is made in America and its style is unlike any other bag I have. This bag retails on the TM1986 website for $165. So, for $45, this is an absolute steal.

Aesthetically, it's a very rugged and masculine bag. It has a very military-esque feel to it, which is what TM1985 and Bespoke Post were going for. It is meant to be reminiscent of old World War II bags. The metal hardware is finished in a matte black. There is an exterior pocket lined with Cordura and the base is also Cordura. There are two holding options; a long shoulder strap with a lobster-claw clasp at the end and a shorter strap for simply holding the bag. The body of the bag is a heavyweight canvas in either the pine or navy color options. There should not be any argument that this is a great looking bag. I have found myself reaching for this one more often than any other bag I own, and I own a considerable amount. Not just because of the looks however, but also because of the rugged durability and its capacity.

These bags are made in New Jersey out of densely woven 18 ounce canvas and are weather resistant. The cotton webbing shoulder strap is extremely dense, tough, and durable. Again, the base is a contrasting tan to either the navy or pine colored body and is made of Cordura nylon. Just for those who do not know, Cordura is an ultra-durable and tough fabric so having it on the base to protect from dirt, mud, and anywhere else you place the bag down is a very nice touch. It also has an outside pocket that closes with a black YKK zipper. This pocket is also lined with the same Cordura that is on the base of the bag. Keeping the bag together, is extra-strong nylon thread. Upon inspection it is obvious that this thread is far thicker than most threads used and will keep the bag together until it is time to be passed down to someone else. It's the little details like this that make the bag a perfect offering from Bespoke Post, and the perfect bag for any man.

This is the sort of bag you can throw in the bed of a pickup truck and not have to fuss over. Hell, it looks like it was made for rucking, which is a military march with a weighted pack over difficult (muddy, rocky, and elevated) terrain. Not only can you toss this bag anywhere you damn well please without worrying about it, but you can also load this bag to capacity. I once had a pair of boots, cross-training shoes, two pairs of jeans, multiple pairs of underwear and socks, t-shirts, sweaters, and button-ups in the bag and I still had room for a few books and an iPad. The way the bag closes is definitely among the more unique ways I've seen and is actually perfect, as there are none of the zipper closure issues I'm sure we're all familiar with. The bag has three matte black metal grommets equal in distance around the diameter of the bag and where the fourth is, there is a black matte metal extension coming out of it. The three open grommets go over the metal extension and then the clasp on the shoulder strap holds them all in place, thus, closing the bag.

As for any flaws or weaknesses with the bag, I could find none. The choice was given to upgrade to a leather version of the bag, but I didn't see the need. With that said, I cannot think of a way to make the bag better, because the bag is exactly what it is supposed to be; ruggedly durable and ultra-streamlined. Overall, this is easily one of the best values Bespoke Post has ever offered and one of the best products they've ever offered. I implore anyone in need of a ridiculously durable and masculine bag to grab it whenever they can. I cannot say enough good things about this Bespoke Post offering and anxiously await the next offering that can compete with this one in terms of value, quality, and utility.

-Ben


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Men's Subscription Boxes - Bespoke Post: Weekender Review